Beautiful Illustrated Books
We are an Australian family-owned publishing company – a husband and wife team. There’s no shortcuts or funny business in what we do. We’re really proud of the fact that our books are handmade by us and inspired by beautiful bookbinding techniques that are centuries old.
We use high quality material with modern printing technology to ensure that every detail of the artwork is beautifully displayed. We also use a mixture of traditional techniques to hand bind our books. We’re literally hands-on during the entire book binding process – the books our hand bound in our Australian studio and the only machine used will be a printer.
- We fold the paper and sew the signatures together with a needle and thread
- We round and back the books with a hammer to create that beautiful curve on the spine
- The endbands are hand sewn (not glued on) near the spine, a true hallmark of a beautiful hardcover book.
- We attach the book casing and carefully place the book cover design.
Lots of time, love, care and attention will be going into making our books… but at the end of the day we want our books to be read and re-read, experienced and treasured.
Our Limited Editions
- Pride and Prejudice, illustrated by Mekel
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, illustrated by Guy Shield
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-glass, illustrated by Stephanie Cowley
- Treasure Island, illustrated by Emilis Emka
Our Kickstarter campaign was a huge success thanks to our amazing backers. We are now busily creating our beautiful handmade limited editions for each of them.
Do you want to find out what’s next for Waterbell? Subscribe to our mailing list for updates and more!